Monday 24 February 2014

Medicine/health in 1910 - 1920 (with help from the Thackray Museum, Leeds)

This page is all about how the public/ society in England lived before the 1910's and what happened afterwards. This includes health, medicine, surgery and what their living areas are actually like. 

Discoveries and events that happened before 1910 in Medicine

  • 1847 - discovery of a new way to make people during surgical operations.  

  • 1854 - Work on bad wine helped show that germs caused decay and disease.

  • 1889 - William S Halsted introduced rubber gloves to surgery - Which Protected Patients from germs. But his original idea was to protect his Fiancés delicate hands.

  • 1890's - Scientists found that mosquitos could carry the parasites/ germs causing Malaria and Yellow Fever.

FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE
 my own image - 27th December 2013

 my own image - 27th December 2013

REFERENCE - With Help from the Thackray Museum, Leeds

what was it like in the 19th century - living and illness wise
(a lot of this is based on Leeds area)

Illness
  • Leeds Waterworks Company took a very long time to supply clean water to the yards and alleyways off kirkgate a Briggate - cholera therefore was a big problem causing people to have symptoms such as sever watery diarrhoea and vomiting. There were four great national epidemics in Victorian Britain 1831 - 1832, 1848 - 1849, 1854 - 1855 and in 1866. Cholera caused victims to die within hours as they lost water from the body and was passed on through the infected water and even food. 

  • Typhoid fever was also passed on through infected water and food just like cholera, it also was a major killer in the 19th century however the symptoms were different. The symptoms were fever, headache and diarrhoea.

  • Tuberculosis (TB) - there were many symptoms of Tuberculosis including coughing, shortness of breath, fever, weakness and weight loss. This illness was a major killer, causing 16% of all deaths/ 1 in 6 deaths in the 1850's and it was passed on by coughing and sneezing. 'the captain of all these men of deaths' John Bunyan, the life and death of Mr Badman (1680).  

  • Diphtheria - the symptoms of this disease were sore throat and fever and a membrane growing across the throat which made breathing very difficult. This illness like many at the time was a major killer but became a serious threat after 1855 within England, causing hundreds of deaths. It was passed on by coughing, sneezing and also through infected milk. 

  • Smallpox - Symptoms were puss filled blisters all over the body and fever. this disease resulted in a high death rate in victorian Britain ( up to 20% of all cases) however it also scarred survivors for life. this was passed on through coughs, sneezes and touch. 

  • Measles - there were a few different symptoms when someone had measles, this included a red body rash, a fever and a sore throat/cough. This was a major killer in Victorian Britain occurring frequent national epidemics. It was passed on by people coughing and sneezing. 
how society thought they could cure it in 19th century.
my own image - 27th December 2013
  • Whooping cough - symptoms included violent coughing, vomiting and fever. This was a major killer which hit the under 5's the hardest. It was passed on by coughing and sneezing. 

  • Influenza (flu) - symtoms of influenza included fever and chills, weakness all over and headache/ muscle aches. It was a major killer of the older generation and occurred in frequent national epidemics. it was passed on through coughs and sneezes.
how society thought they could cure it in 19th Century.
my own image - 27th December 2013

Many of these diseases were caused by the poor standard of living, there were no sewers so dirt and waste would run down the streets, there wasn't much clean water so the water being drank had infectious diseases and germs in it. There wasn't much knowledge of different germs and what they could cause and how to treat many of the illnesses. 
However, By the end of the 19th century a lot was starting to change...

REFERENCE - with help from the Thackray Museum, Leeds

How it looked in the 19th century on the English streets (picture done by me of the Thackray Museuem)

The little Pub/bar
my own image - 27th December 2013

outside the farm house; street
my own image - 27th December 2013

Within the farm house
my own image - 27th December 2013

within the farm house 2
my own image - 27th December 2013

Beds in house
my own image - 27th December 2013

beds in house 2
my own image - 27th December 2013

Butchers Yard
my own image - 27th December 2013

muck station, next to butchers yard
my own image - 27th December 2013

 street view
my own image - 27th December 2013

vicar praying for ill in house
my own image - 27th December 2013

Factory worker been hurt working
my own image - 27th December 2013

Changes towards the end of the 19th Century

  • They were supplied with clean drinking water from the mains.
my own image - 27th December 2013

my own image - 27th December 2013
  • the standard of living by the end of the 19th century changed as most of the working class enjoyed a better standard of living however still over a quarter lived in poverty.

  • (mainly a Leeds fact) Leeds housing improved by an Act of 1866, back to backs had to be built in blocks but no more than 8 were allowed together. 

Hospitals

Hospitals became important centres of medical care in the late 1800's. New developments in healthcare along with greater affluence increased the demand for medical products, and growing industrialisation meant that firms were able to supply them.

In the 1920's hospitals were seen as the centres for modern medicine. Patients were cared for in clean and highly functional wards. Nurses had to be Nationally trained and registered to work, this meant that hospitals became efficient and effective places for treatment. Hospital death rates in 1920 fell to a fraction of their mid 19th Century levels.

Hospital ward 1920 Leeds
 my own image - 27th December 2013

An old medicine case 1908
 my own image - 27th December 2013

this was used to cure illness in 19th century
my own image - 27th December 2013 

medicine by Lobelline around late 19th Century/ early 20th Century
my own image - 27th December 2013

information about above photograph
my own image - 27th December 2013

medicine from the late 19th/ early 20th century
 my own image - 27th December 2013

Advances in Medicine
my own image - 27th December 2013

chairmen of Leeds Public Dispensary - honourary Physician/Surgeon 
my own image - 27th December 2013

The ones between 1910- 1920
 my own image - 27th December 2013

Vaccine discoveries with dates!
my own image - 27th December 2013

 Medical Case storing treatment for Syphilis 1920
my own image - 27th December 2013

Paul Ehrlich - his discovery 1909

Paul Ehrlich (1899) was a German scientist who studying the dyes used to stain Bacteria for viewing under microscopes. He knew that some Dyes were absorbed by bacteria, but not by human cells. He needed to find a dye that could also poison bacteria.
In 1909 after many years and experiments his team finally found a dye that killed Syphilis germs - 'Salvarsan' or '606', a Magic Bullet against disease.

medical case storing treatment for Syphilis (2)
my own image - 27th December 2013

about the photographs above!
my own image - 27th December 2013

REFERENCE - With help from the Thackray Museum, Leeds

TB in the 20th Century

photograph from exhibition at thackray museum
my own image - 27th December 2013

photograph from exhibition at thackray museum
 my own image - 27th December 2013

TB Drug treatments; medicine
my own image - 27th December 2013 

Milk Bottles 
my own image - 27th December 2013

how to prevent TB in 20th century
my own image - 27th December 2013

Spittoon 
 my own image - 27th December 2013

exhibition at the Thackray Museum
my own image - 27th December 2013 

exhibition at the Thackray Museum
my own image - 27th December 2013

REFERENCE - With help from the Thackray Museum, Leeds

Polio

In England polio was around a while however, in the 1940's to 50's there was a wide spread polio breakout - affecting many including children with paralysis and even death. 

In 1910 Dr Karl Landsteiner found that polio was a virus-borne infection.

Jonas Salk (1914) University of pittsburgh discovered the first polio vaccine in 1955.

REFERENCE - with help from the Thackray museum, Leeds and book - The first polio vaccine 

Polio Machine - Negative Pressure Ventilator 
my own image - 27th December 2013

Jonas Salk - Vaccine
my own image - 27th December 2013

President Roosevelt with Polio
my own image 27th December 2013

Anaesthetic around 1910 - 1920

A few Anaesthetic bottles 1900
 my own image - 27th December 2013

Chloroform 1920 - 1950
  my own image - 27th December 2013

chloroform inhaler
  my own image - 27th December 2013

chloroform drop bottle 1890
  my own image - 27th December 2013

Anaesthetic Machine 
  my own image - 27th December 2013

information about Anaesthetic Machine
 my own image - 27th December 2013

SCRUB UP!

Antiseptics and disinfectant bottles
  my own image - 27th December 2013

information about above
  my own image - 27th December 2013

steriliser drum
  my own image - 27th December 2013

information about above
 my own image - 27th December 2013

REFERENCE - With help from Thackray Medical Museum, Leeds

Surgery 1900's

By 1900's surgeons were performing operations successfully on areas of the body that were once thought to be untouchable - the Brain, The abdomen and deep inside the chest.

Xrays/ radiation were being used as treatments around the 1920's. 

Operation
my own image - 27th December 2013

tools for operating
my own image - 27th December 2013 

more tools for operating
 my own image - 27th December 2013

microscope
 my own image - 27th December 2013

information about above
 my own image - 27th December 2013

sisters register of patients 1914
 my own image - 27th December 2013

 Labatory Leeds General infirmary. 
my own image - 27th December 2013

xray machine 1920
my own image - 27th December 2013

Reflection of research

This is one of the best pages on my blog. The information I got from this museum was fantastic and a very useful insight into the medical side of 1910 to 1920. Unfortunately not a lot of it could be used towards my final page (representation of social class in 'Titanic' and 'Downton Abbey') I wouldn't say it was completely useless as if i was going to produce a film to do with this decade, I would need to know about the problems that could be encountered, especially to someones health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment